Flames of the Future & Torchbearers of Tomorrow
One of the tenets of the Mystical Order of the Phoenix is to engage in charitable activities and community outreach to improve conditions in the greater New Orleans metropolitan area. In this spirit, we are proud to announce an exciting new Knights of Sparta/MOOTP youth-centric community service award program – The Flames of the Future/Torchbearers of Tomorrow Education Award.
This one-time monetary award and one- time Mardi Gras float ride is open to three female students (The Flames of the Future) and three male students (The Torchbearers of Tomorrow) who have demonstrated a commitment to their community through dedication to public service. For students whose contribution to the community has been dedicated, long term, and impactful individually and publicly, The Knights of Sparta and MOOTP wish to recognize this service with an award stipend in the amount of $500, along with the ride of a lifetime in the Spartan Society 2022 Mardi Gras parade.
- Applicants must be a member of the graduating class of 2022 and demonstrate outstanding contribution to the community. A minimum of a 2.0 grade point average is required.
- Applicants may apply for consideration or they may be nominated by an active member of The Knights of Sparta and/or MOOTP.
- Applicants must be United States citizens and/or legal residents of the United States of America and must be residents of the State of Louisiana.
- Applicants must attend a board of elementary and secondary education-(BESE)- certified public or private high school in the State of Louisiana.
- Applicants must plan to attend an accredited U.S. 2 year or 4-year college/university in the Fall of 2021.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 250 hours of community service.
Applicants for The Flames of the Future and The Torchbearers of Tomorrow award must complete an application, and include the following:
- A typewritten 500-word essay that describes how your community service endeavors have contributed to your growth as a young adult and how you plan to incorporate that into your future;
- An Official High School Transcript;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship/residency (birth certificate or Immigration papers), and proof of residency in the State of Louisiana (driver’s license or other);
- A Letter of Recommendation from your community service supervisor. If you have completed hours at multiple organizations, please submit a letter from each agency. The letter must include the total number of community service hours completed. A minimum of 250 hours is required.
- A college acceptance letter. (Stipend will be disbursed directly to the college of your choice).